Sunday, February 25, 2007

I'm back!

Sorry I haven't posted anything this past week. Our place has been a sick house! We've had the stomach bug and a bad cold that we've been sharing with each other. Thankfully Ava didn't catch anything, just the rest of us have been sick. I've been busy wiping noses, fixing chicken rice soup, and doing lots of laundry.
Ava had her two month check up on Thursday, and she is doing well! She weighs 11 pounds, 5 ounces. At this age Abigail weighed 3 ounces more, so they're pretty close in size. Ava is in the 75th percentile for her height. She may be taller than me one day! I've noticed lately how much less I am concerned that Ava reach all the milestones on time than I was with Abigail. From rolling over, to sleeping through the night (which she just about is), to holding her head up, I just haven't thought so much about those things. We left her in the nursery for the first time at church this morning-over a month sooner than we did with Abigail. I think I'm just enjoying the place she is in at the moment more without thinking of what's ahead. She started playing a game with me this weekend. She sticks out her tongue and waits for me to do the same. When I do, she gives me a huge smile! Then she wants to do it again, and again. So cute!
Abigail is becoming more and more a little girl everyday. She tells me at least once a day that she likes pink (as if I didn't know!), and she loves to be a little mommy. She pretended to change one of her babies diapers today. She had the baby on the changing pad and was wiping his bottom with a wipe, saying "Oooh, you're stinky! Let's get you cleaned up!" It sounded strangely like the way I talk to Ava...
She is really going through a tough stage though. It seems like she has whined constantly this weekend over anything and everything. This afternoon we had about a 30 minute cryfest, all over her taking one bite of her peanut butter sandwich. It involved many spankings and time outs, but nothing seemed to work. Even after I spanked her, she still wouldn't take one bite. She finally gave in, and was fine about 5 minutes later. I, however, was about ready to cry myself! I need so much help in this. I told the Lord this afternoon that I just don't know what to do sometimes! I need His wisdom so much in raising this girl.

I want to share something I read in J.C. Ryle's little book, The Duties of Parents. Thanks, Keri!

"Precious no doubt, are these little ones in your eyes; but if you love them, think often of their souls. No interest should weigh with you so much as their eternal interests. No part of them should be so dear to you as the part which will never die...This is the thought that should be uppermost on your mind in all you do for your children. "

9 comments:

Keri said...

Thanks for sharing, Lisa. I am thinking of the lyrics "all the fitness he requires is to feel your need of Him." Although raising children is so hard, it's one more avenue through which God is obviously showing you your need of Him. Be thankful and rest in knowing that you don't have to do it all perfectly and that God will take care of Abigail despite your mistakes.
Love you.
Keri

Donna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna said...

Lisa, I'm glad you all are doing better and that Ava stayed well! Great quote to help keep the right perspective. It is tough to go through phases like that. I remember when Shelby was younger thinking, is she always going to act so awful? I am so glad life is "undulating" as C.S. Lewis puts it!

Laura said...

I am the same way with Noelle as you are with Ava, as far as just enjoying the moments and not being as concerned with milestones. I wanted to tell you that I think you're doing an awesome job with both your girls: Abigail is so cute in Sunday School, and Ava was very happy & content when I saw her in the nursery this morning.
Also, thank you for that great quote, as well as thanks to Keri for her comment.

Melissa said...

Yea - it's so good to hear from someone when things are not going so great - although we're surrounded, parenting often feels very lonley!

Anonymous said...

glad you all are better! We had the stomach bug as well as colds last week also!
Well, if it makes you feel less lonely my sweet Jonah has become a stubborn, independent little guy, always saying "no" and crying easily. Hang in there and remember you're not alone!

Anonymous said...

My comment is not going to be very spiritual! About Abigail's eating: there are AT LEAST 2 things you can't do as a parent....making them "go" in the potty, and making them eat! So I would tell you to offer her milk w/ meals and give water for thirst. That way she doesn't fill up on either milk or juice, etc. THEN, offer her whatever you have for her to eat, preferably what you are serving Jon and/or yourself. (Don't get into the trap of becoming a short-order chef!) YOUR job is to prepare and offer food. HER job is to decide how much and even IF she will eat it. After a reasonable amount of time, excuse her from the table. When she is hungry, uncover what she didn't eat and put it back in front of her. When she is hungry, she will eat! At this age, she is not growing very fast, so she really doesn't need very much. Frustrating for a parent, but rest assured, she will not starve. Preventing starvation is, really your goal! Even if she only eats 4 grapes for dinner and you feel like a looser as a mom, you both will survive and thrive! (I share this as a true story from Lillie's life at about this same age!)
Adolescence is the "payback" time for eating everything in sight, as it is another period of rapid growth!
You're doing a great job as mom. Never measure your "success" by your child's eating or achieving other milestones. It's a trap!
Love you,
Jeanine

Anonymous said...

I need that reminder everyday! Between the potty training and meal making I miss teaching (and often times showing) them about Gods love. Glad you are all feeling better.

keri said...

i've been there with the whining! and i'm still there i'm afraid! girls just seem to be so emotional, me included! its often aggrevating....but it has opened my eyes to my own sin as well.