Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Some thoughts on love

It is staggering that God should love sinners; yet it is true. God loves creatures who have become unlovely and (one would have thought) unlovable. There was nothing whatever in the objects of his love to call it forth; nothing in us could attract or prompt it. Love among persons is awakened by something in the beloved, but the love of God is free, spontaneous, unevoked, uncaused. God loves people because he has chosen to love them...and no reason for his love can be given except his own sovereign good pleasure.

Knowing God
Chapter 12-The Love of God
J.I. Packer

We celebrate love today...I have been very blessed to have many whom I love and many who love me in my life. Yet the real celebration is of the love of our Father for us. Without his love, we can't really love anyone here on earth. Later in Packer's chapter on love, he asks this question.

"Could an observer learn from the quality and degree of love that I show to others-my wife? my husband? my family? my neighbors? people at church? people at work?-anything at all about the greatness of God's love to me?"

Let's set our minds today on the love with which the Father has loved us, and we will love those in our lives deeply and richly, with unselfish and joyful love.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

With all the hearts/chocolate, etc going on today, your post was refreshing. Amazing Love!

Kim said...

This is a great post! I want to focus on God's love for me as I love others...only He can give me the kind of love 1 Cor 13 speaks of! I want to have that kind of love in my heart for others,so that is pours out!


Kim