I wanted to share something from my Bible study this week that was especially meaningful. I go to a women's study, and we are going through Tim Keller's study on Judges right now. We studied the birth of Samson this week. An angel of the Lord appears to Samson's parents and tells his mother she will conceive and bear a son. He is to be a nazarite to God all his life. Manoah, Samson's father, asks "O Lord, please let the man of God whom you sent come again to us and teach us what we are to do with this child who will be born." (Judges 13:8) I can relate to that prayer! The Lord graciously sends the angel again (who is actually Jesus), but doesn't exactly answer the question the way we might expect. Here is what Tim Keller has to say about it...
"Instead, God gives Manoah a revelation of his glory. He returns to speak of the wonder of his name ... Then by ascending in flame he indelibly prints in their mind his greatness. Then by not destroying them with his nearness he shows his goodness. In other words, the Lord is saying, 'you will need to know me and my character far more than you need more information. One thousand more rules in the world would not be able to give you direction in the innumerable decisions and choices you will have to make with your son. Only a deep understanding of who I am can give you the guidance you need.'"
I needed to hear that! It's so easy to turn to the nearest parenting book rather than seek the Lord. What I really need is more of Him!

6 comments:
That is so funny - we're doing the same study and I remember the laughter all around the room when we read that prayer! It sounded like the theme-song for all of our lives - parents have been asking this questions for ages and you're right - the answer is still the same.
PS I really like this study (of course, Lorrie is the BEST leader)!
I just love this, Lisa. Thank you for sharing it. I will read it again and again.
Hi Lisa, I just got caught up on the Huggins' doings...I wanted to say that I'm so empathetic to your struggles with sweet Abigail. We've been through lots of that, and like you, my instinct often seems to be to reach for a book rather than seek God. And we go through ebbs and flows in behavior - amazingly precious and helpful, then a strong leaning toward disobedience and rebellion! You think, "what happened?". But we're learning a little more that we have to ride out the storm, discipline with patience and love (and repent when we do otherwise), and generally stay the course and trust God, not panicking about our parenting.
So, thanks for sharing, and we send our love to you and Jon and your girls! Oh, and we heard Christy's having a boy! Yay!
That is a great study! And thanks for the reminder-I definitely need it and need Him!
I too am doing the same study-I'm not with Melissa on really liking the study it's not my favorite so far. Wait until you get to king N...Melissa and I decided that it is definately the reformed drama...are you ready...it's not infant baptism...it's was king n saved? Tim says yes sproul says no? What does Jon say?
OH I love it. I need to hear that, too. EVERYDAY. Seriously. And that is exactly how God has ordained it - that we need HIM, not more gifts or talents or a different personality or more energy, etc. etc. That's SO GOOD to hear. Love, Deborah
Post a Comment