I have to give a little plug for a book-I guess being married to Jon has rubbed off on me! I just finished reading Battling Unbelief by John Piper. It's actually the first Piper book I have read all the way through. I've started several others but never finished them. This one is not very long and is full of great truth.
Here is a little exerpt from his website about battling unbelief...
"All sin comes from unbelief in the promises of God. The sinful state of our hearts is owing to unbelief in God's super-abounding willingness and ability to work for us in every situation of life so that everything turns out for our good...Piper aims to clarify what it means, at the most practical level, to live by faith in the promises of God, and to equip us with weapons to battle the root of unbelief that threatens to grow in our hearts again and again every day."
My reading goal now is to finish Knowing God in the next couple of weeks. I have been reading it for nearly a year now! It's one of those I can only read a little at a time because Packer gives me so much to think about in each chapter.
So what are you all reading? I'd love to hear!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I too struggle with finishing those heavy books. I'm reading Morning and Evening by Spurgeon. It has a weighty passage to read at the beginning and end of each day. It's a good one to add to your library.
Amanda
You know I've been sucked into Francine Rivers lately. :) Although Battling Unbelief is on my list of books to read next. I'm also working on Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller. It's just kind of light and refreshing.
I'm also reading "Battling Unbelief" right now! On the side also sits "Bridge to Terabithia". Just finished "Girl on A Swing" by Nancy Kennedy (highly recommend)
I finished a couple of months ago Beth Moore's "Believing God" study. It is based a lot on what Piper says and you can tell that the two of them really know each others heart. I have been listening to books on CD lately and have touched on Boundaries but my brain was having to work to hard to listen so I decided to put it off to another day. I just finished Chip Ingram's "Seeing God with 20/20 Vision. If it is in print I would highly recommend it. It is not heavy reading but packed full of scripture and great application. I love to listen to him speak as he is so passionate about what he says.
Love,
Grammy
the piper book sounds like something i need to read right now! we're on vacation next week so i'll be reading "girl on a swing" that sam mentioned!
I'm not reading anything of clout right now. It's "Shopaholic and Baby" by Sophie Kinsella. But before that, I read, "To Own A Dragon" by Donald Miller. He's the guest speaker at our Labor Day Retreat next weekend. I like all his books. "Dragon" was about becoming a Christian man after growing up without a father. It meant a lot to me since many of the feelings he expressed are similar to Scott's experiences with his own dad. We can't wait to meet Donald next weekend!
Post a Comment