So did any of you watch American Idol last night? They had a special show to raise money to fight poverty in America and in Africa. They had many guest performers (can anyone explain that Elvis appearance???) and it was quite an entertaining show. The scenes in Africa were especially moving. They showed women and children who were dying of malaria, children who had been orphaned because their parents had AIDS, and the horrible conditions in which many of these people live. I didn't know what part of Africa it was filmed in and assumed they weren't going to say until I heard a familiar place mentioned-Kibera, Kenya. This just happens to be the place Jon is taking the youth to this summer on a mission trip. I had heard a good bit about where they were going, but to see some of the people who live there was really amazing and heartwrenching. I know it is going to be a life changing trip for Jon as well as the others going. I told Jon he might be wishing he could bring some of those children home with him on the plane! He agreed!
I am already dreading him being away for 8 days. I know it will be a life changing week for me as well, just for different reasons. I know I will have to fight some of my fears, having my husband on the other side of the world and not being able to talk to him for over a week. I don't think we've ever gone a day without talking to each other since we started dating. Our lives have certainly become one! His being away will be a test of trust for me, and a big reminder that my security is found in the Lord. I know He holds our lives in His loving hands, but times like that our faith is put to the test.
He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us.
Psalm 62:6-8
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction...
James 1:27
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Ok, I'll be the first to comment again. :) I saw part of the Africa thing last night, but didn't hear where it was. I wondered if it was Kibera. I didn't realize you were so nervous about Jon leaving for a week. I cried when David left for Cherokee last summer and that was only 3 hours away, but no communication with him nonetheless. God is always doing something so much bigger than you realize...
We'll pray for you more specifically. Love you.
I saw it, although I do not watch that show normally.
I did not realize the depth of poverty in Kibera. I don't think my heart could take leaving those people knowing what all I have to go home to.
I was worried about that in going to Mexico- a poor country- but rich compared to Kibera! But relieved to find that the children in the orphanage do have parents, and are mostly unadoptable. Their parents just can't support them.
Wow, that will be a life changing experience for Jon, and a huge opportunity for you to trust God. I'll pray that He gives you all the grace you need. Keep us posted as it gets closer.
i know how you feel!! did you know that is where rusty went with alan about a year and 1/2 ago? they visited Kibera and the stories he came back with were amazing. jon will certainly experience things there that he could never imagine. r was gone 10 days...it was certainly difficult but we made it through. one thing he did was video taped himself reading books and saying special messages for the kids to watch every night at bedtime. this was especially great for ella (and me!). so you guys might want to do that too!
Ah, the missionary widow - welcome to my world! I'll keep you & the girls in my prayers!
Since my husband (Andy) has already made this trip, I know how hard it will be. We were not able to communicate at all while he was gone and I really had to trust God to take care of him. You will be amazed at how God will hold you and sustain you. The biggest thing that I regreted in Andy going, was not sharing in this experience with him. I understand being one with your spouse and it was sad to me that we did not share in something that brought growth and change through the work that God did in Andy's heart and life. I am SOOO glad Andy is returning to Africa, I know that a little more of his heart will be left there. I hope that one day Andy and I can go there together. We have talked about him bringing a child back with him, how I wish he could. I just pray for God to use the team and to reveal more of Himself to those who go and to those who are ministered to. You will be in my prayers.
Lisa, I found your blog from Christy Slocum's blog and I just had to comment on this entry! Brian just left today to go help his Mom move to Washington, D.C. and I have certainly been dreading it! I have worried about safe travel and I've worried about doing this parenting thing alone for a little while! Granted, it's not a mission trip and he'll only be gone for 4 days, but God used your blog entry to encourage me at just the right moment. It certainly made me feel better to know that another wife/mom dreads the times when her husband is away! And most of all, thank you for reminding me where I can find my true security and my refuge!
--Suzanne Aultman :)
I saw parts of the amazing, eye opening show also. I had no idea it was Kibera. When I pray for our church members going, it will be much more real and personal.
P.S. How did they do the Elvis thing?
Hi sweet Lisa, you know you will have many family and friends praying for you! What a stretching experience for you both! I love you!
Post a Comment