Being a stay at home mom is a calling that is both wonderful and terrible. I know many of you will agree! It is wonderful in so many ways...you have the joy of being around your children all day, experiencing life with them and through their eyes. You never miss a milestone. You can wear your pajamas all day if you want to. You don't have to juggle work stresses with home stresses. You don't have to rush out of the house early, and you have time (usually) to prepare meals for your family. You can get together with other stay at home moms for playdates. I remember thinking shortly after Abigail was born, "This is great! I get to play all day long!"
And yet it is a terrible calling at the same time-well, terrible may be a little too extreme, but I'd at least say challenging! Days can become very mundane. You are never off the clock and you're not paid for overtime! Some days can be lonely. It's often difficult to see the eternal significance of changing yet another diaper, getting up one more time at 3 am to a crying baby, or wiping one more snotty nose. It's easy to get caught up in the here and now and forget there is a world out there where God is at work! My tendency is to just focus on myself and my little world. I'm so thankful God is patient with me, and his merciful lovingkindness is always pursuing me when I forget to look to Him. I've been reminded lately to look beyond myself and see how God is working all over the world. I am just a little part of His amazing plan of redemption. I want to delight in this and walk in the joy of being a part of His plan. I wouldn't trade my calling for any other. I'm so thankful that this life is the one the Lord has chosen for me. I just need to be reminded from time to time that there is more to life than what I see. Maybe you needed to be reminded today too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Oh, how I can relate! Babies, especially, tend to keep us homebound, which can be really hard. I feel like I've adjusted to the solitude, routineness, and repetitive nature of my work, and feel largely content in it now, but sometimes it does hit me afresh that this is hard. Really, I think all work, even outside the home, has a mundaneness and repetitiveness to it. I'm so thankful that I serve the One before whom every type of work becomes sacred and eternal when done in service of Him. By the way, I love the new title of your blog. I often think about it when I'm changing a diaper. :)
I just want you to know you are such an encouragement to me. I love hearing you talk about your walk. Sometimes with joy, sometimes with tears, sometimes with questions, always with a dose of humor. And always with a smiling heart. Always resolved to do His will...
I know it's not easy doing what you do. But it is to me the most important work you could ever be called to. And someday you and Jon will be able to look at Abigail and Ava and hear their hearts too and see their struggles and watch their walk. I know you pray as Mom and I do that they'll grow up to love their Savior above all else. And they'll have memories of a wonderful Mom and Dad to know what it looks like. It reminds me of a Donald Miller quote from Blue Like Jazz, "Sometimes you have to watch someone love something before you can love it yourself. It's like they're showing you the way." You are showing a lot of people the way - and especially two little ones who will never be the same for it!
Dad ;)
Thanks, Lisa. I hope Ava is better. We missed you this morning.
Love, keri
One of the hardest things for me is staying home and having to avoid people when my kids are sick! I get so lonely! But often they are some of the most precious times of reconnecting with my kids!
I hope Ava is better soon!
I am there with you and all that you have shared! I struggled so my first year just wondering at times if I would make it or not and I sure had moments where not was very strong. Needless to say I look back knowing that I was there and present in your life and today I stand not as a mother regretting that time but so thankful God gave me the time with you. How now I long for just one of those days again. Yes as a woman we choose each day where our focus is and it is a choice we have to make everyday because it does become mundane but knowing God sees and understands brings us comfort. I have been studying Matthew and looking at the life of Jesus during those silent years before His ministry was made known to the world. I wonder if he ever grew tired being the older brother called to take care of the younger children after Joseph died and being a carpenter when he was God there with a bigger purpose. The silence of not being known as who He really was must have been hard. Indeed, he knows our ways, and cares.
I am proud of you for being honest.
You amazing and delight your mother's heart.
Keep pressing on and may God bless you my dear daughter!
Mom
You make me think of all the moms of the greats...those women whose influence was invaluable, yet we never really think of them...Luther's mom, Piper's mom, King David's mom, your mom. Not that I don't think about your mom, but she's one of the greats and she's got a couple of pretty great girls, too. :) Love you! :)
When we drive by "day care centers," Mason is always intrigued and asks if he can go there - really boosting my stay-at-home self-esteem!
Post a Comment