Monday, November 26, 2007

Worship

I've been thinking a lot lately about worship. I went to the MTW Global Missions Conference a couple of weeks ago and we experienced some awesome worship! It was so neat to worship with a couple of thousand people who have been redeemed and who are devoting their lives to spreading His fame across the world. There were many who had come from all over the world to be together for this conference. Of course, whether we're ministering to Africans or white middle class Americans, we're all missionaries. If we're breathing, we're called to missions as Dr. Pratt said. Anyway, the speakers were amazing, the testimonies were encouraging, the break out sessions informative, but the worship was what really changed me. I was drawn in to worship with all my heart, and it was pure joy. Ever since we came home I've been thinking about that time and wishing I could go back there. I think I realized how awesome corporate worship is. Worship has always seemed very personal to me. Even in a group, I think I have most often just focused on my own heart and relationship to God. Don't get me wrong, those things are important; in fact they are essential to really worship. But somehow sitting at my desk singing a song to the Lord is different from standing in a group of thousands worshiping the Savior who has redeemed us all. At the conference I was also blessed to be surrounded by people who were really worshiping with all their hearts as well as all their minds. Sometimes I think our denomination is so theology driven we forget to experience those truths with our hearts too...we don't often just break out in emotional praise with hands raised and tears in our eyes. I know everyone is different and experiences the Lord in different ways...but I want to experience Him more with my heart while worshiping in the corporate body. And I want those around me to be experiencing Him as well. I know it hits us at different times, the amazing truths of our salvation. I think what was so powerful at the conference was that I felt like we were all together really rejoicing in the Lord and His work on our behalf. It wasn't just a few people here and there. We were lifting our voices as one as a fragrant offering to the Lord. You know, I don't really think there is any greater joy than worship. It's what we were created to do. There are some incredibly wonderful experiences on Earth, but nothing brings the joy that worship brings. I can't wait to worship in eternity with all of you, as we are unhindered and full of joy, all the pain of Earth is left behind and we fully embrace our Savior.

Revelation 5:9-13
And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth."
Then I looked, and I heard around the throne and the living creatures and the elders the voice of many angels, numbering myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands, saying with a loud voice, "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!" And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!"

I can't wait for this day!

4 comments:

Kerry said...

So true, Leese. The most powerful times of worship--the ones where I am so blown away at how big God is...which just magnifies His grace to us by pointing out how small we are...so blown away that I literally almost cannot stand--those most powerful times for me come when I am in Ecuador. And not just because it's Ecuador, but because I am in a room with people praising God in two or three languages. For the most part, I know what's going on in the English and Spanish...but this God we're singing to doesn't miss a beat of any of those languages, or any of the others being sung or spoken around the world...and this God longs to for me to know Him intimately. Unbelievable. :)

Love you...looking forward to seeing you this weekend!

Keri said...

You say it well. As I was reading your post, I was thinking that perhaps the reason corporate worship is so special is because it gives us a glimpse of what heaven will be like, just like the Rev. quote. The Presbytery-wide service at Covenant a few months ago was kind of like that. The acoustics and the choir made me cry it was so beautiful and all I could think of was how much more extraordinary heaven will be like. How gracious of God to give us a tiny glimpse of that here, and to allow us to be a part of something the angels have been doing forever already. ;)

Laura said...

I totally agree with you and the other comments...
I interpret that feeling as what happens when our soul is experiencing its absolute goal - glorifying and praising God - and it can't hold back. It swells up inside us and we get a teeny tiny glimpse of that most glorious day. That pure joy that we crave from then on.

Your post is so beautiful and energetic, I loved reading it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you totally! I find I worship well when I sit and listen to a few songs that I can sing with before my quiet time. It softens my heart and allows me to hear again from God and in turn praise and honor Him. I also you know enjoy my time in the car and worship! I even raise my hands in the car. The first time I drove by our old subdivision I was crying and praising God for His blessing in our lives.
Tonight on the way home from meeting Daddy for dinner and a little shopping my heart was heavy with the sorrows of seeing the pain in Papa and Mimi's eyes today! For a moment he acted like he did before his memory began to go. He hugged me and said see you later! His voice sounded like he did when he was younger. I was listening to Shane and Shane CD you gave me and one of the songs is "It is Well with my Soul". Yes indeed in days when we don't feel the Savior presence and perhaps we even blow it like I did today(I will tell you later) but to know because of HIs sacrifice for us we will some day no live with these hard days certainly that is something to praise God about and I arrived home humble again by His mercy and goodness to me. I am proud of you and love your heart.
Mom