Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Girl on a Swing

I started reading a book called Girl on a Swing by Nancy Kennedy (thanks for the recommendation Keri and Sam!) and I am loving it! I wanted to share a paragraph from her introduction explaining her title. It was like a breath of fresh air to read this. I hope it encourages you too.

For about a year now I've been staring off and on at a greeting card on my desk. It shows the image of a girl on a swing, midflight. She's about nine or ten, maybe eight. Her face is tilted skyward, and she looks like she's utterly enjoying the experience of momentum and the feeling that she's flying.
I bought the card to send to a friend, but I kept it for myself....the longer I study it, the more I realize that what I've known all along is true, that the girl on the swing leaning back, gently and easily pumping her legs, closing her eyes while the wind blows through her hair, her entire being warmed by the sun--the longer I stare at that picture, the more I know that the girl is me.
She is not who I want to be or hope to be, but because of Jesus, she is me.
She is safe, and she is me. She is secure, and she is me. She is free and forgiven, she is her Father's delight, and in Christ, she is me.
She's you too.

What a truth! We don't have to wish this could be us; it really is if we are in Jesus! These are some of the things I think of when I picture that girl on a swing:
she is happy
she is at peace
she is excited
she is secure
she is at rest

May we all feel in our hearts today what is true...He still smiles on us whether we acknowledge it or not!

3 comments:

keri said...

i'm reading another one of her books right now ("when perfect isn't enough"). so you have to come to our retreat and hear nancy kennedy in person!! march 28-29....i hope you can come!

MamaDrama77 said...

I love reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

I love this book! I am really looking forward to meeting Nancy at our women's retreat this year.

Oh - Happy Birthday!!