Friday, September 11, 2009

I started a new book on prayer this week called A Praying Life by Paul Miller. I'm loving it already. Prayer is an area I really want to grow in. Here is a quote from the book.

This is the gospel, the welcoming heart of God. God also cheers when we come to him with our wobbling, unsteady prayers. Jesus does not say, "Come to me, all you who have learned how to concentrate in prayer, whose minds no longer wander, and I will give you rest. " No, Jesus opens his arms to his needy children and says, "Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. " (Matt. 11:28) The criteria for coming to Jesus is weariness. Come overwhelmed with life. Come with your wandering mind. Come messy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed! I come in all states and at all times. Lately it has been a cry for mercy, help, forgiveness and healing.
God is faithful and I pray and imagine him sitting with a look of love on his face. It brings such comfort to know if my spiritual eyes were opened I could see His face. I believe Mee-maw saw that face as she was dying and that is why she never closed her eyes but remain focus on Him. She said He was waiting on her and she never looked scared. Indeed our God of comfort.

Julie Tiemann said...

Great stuff, Leese. I'm leaving your post marked unread in my Google reader for a while so I can think on this more...

Gretchen said...

So true and a great reminder for me!